I stole the title of this post from a CD my brother did a few years ago (shameless plug here) and thought that since my “baby duty” for tonight has ended, I’d take a little time to add some random things I’ve discovered in the past couple of months:
- Babies smell really good right after a bath-although giving them the bath is still so stressful, I can’t enjoy it for a couple of hours
- I’d pay a lot of money to know what Hannah dreams about at this stage. I like to think that it’s really nice things like angels but I’m completely puzzled by it
- I actually enjoy feeding my daughter. It’s fun and I enjoy the time with her BUT
- I don’t enjoy waking up to screams-I said it before and I’ll say it again, the one thing I’m ready for is for her to be able to just say “I’m hungry” and know that we’ll take care of it for her
- There is a definite pattern emerging with formula preparation-if I do it, the measuring scoop is snapped into the lid. If Lea Ann does it, it’s in the powder. I’m not saying one is better than the other, but it’s funny that neither of has has changed in the six weeks that we have been making powdered formula
- I found that there is nothing wrong with putting Hannah in her crib awake and letting her grunt and make little noises as she falls asleep. If she cries, we go help her, but learning to self-soothe is going to help her out I think (I may just be telling myself that)
- You think adoption is sort of a random thing until you do it. You quickly discover that EVERY family knows someone who adopted a baby or was adopted and the vast majority of them are positive experiences. I find that reassuring.
- Sometimes, the only thing that can help you feel better is about 10 hours of sleep…it’s good to have a spouse who will let you have that once in a while
- I posted this to Facebook recently but if either presidential candidate could somehow regulate all of the parenting “advice” that is in books and on the internet-I’d definitely vote for that person. You can read one thing somewhere, then something completely opposite right after that-just drives me crazy. I’ve finally learned that it’s really all just guessing and that nobody knows our baby better than us so we should generally trust our instincts
Anyway, that’s all for now….I’m working hard to get back into the swing of this….posts may be spotty for a while but I’ll keep plugging away.